Tosa Tales

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Remember when we were invincible?

When you are young, you often feel invincible. Nothing can go wrong. You let friends surf on your car because nothing bad could really happen, right? You pull stupid stunts because you don't think about consequences. As you grow older, this mindset usually changes. At least for most of us it does. Recently, I was surprised to hear that two 30-something guys were street racing in Toronto. When I first heard about the street racing, I had assumed it was young kids who still thought they were invincible. Wouldn't 30-somethings know better?

I was horrified to hear that a good friend of mine from high school (who I still stay in contact with) and her fiancee were badly injured when one of the street racers' car went out of control, crossed over into oncoming traffic and hit their car. Mark suffered 2 broken legs and Allison suffered a stroke that left her unable to talk and one side of her body paralyzed. The street racer was killed.

This accident really got to me. I've never really had something bad happen to any of my close family or friends. At least not something that made me think, this could happen to me. I also keep wondering, why them? They had just gotten engaged, bought a house, got a new puppy, they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet...

I'm trying to decide if I will take a trip up the Toronto this summer to visit. Sending flowers just doesn't seem like enough. It's difficult since I'm so far away. My thoughts are constantly with Allison and Mark and everyone is hoping for a full recovery for both of them. I'm really looking forward to dancing at their wedding next year.

2 Comments:

  • I know what you mean. I still can't get over the shock that this happened to them. That this could happen to someone that we know makes me feel just that much more vulnerable. Hopefully they'll both recover from this quickly so they can be the ones to start the dancing on their wedding day.

    By Blogger Maple, at 11:29 AM  

  • That is so awful...I'm really sorry to hear about your friends.

    By Blogger Networkchic, at 9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home