Tosa Tales

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

For F**k's Sake!

I had quite the interesting weekend two weeks ago. Friday night, I was in the mood for a Fish Fry. I may have mentioned in the past that every restaurant in the Milwaukee area has a fish fry on Fridays. Especially during Lent. One of my favorites is at a bar called McBob's. They also happen to pour a decent Guinness so it's not difficult to convince me to visit McBob's.

B and I tried to get a bunch of people to join us but most were busy or bailed on us. One friend of B's (Dave) said he might if his in-laws were interested. He is engaged to an Irish lass (Bridie) and her family was flying in for the Bachelorette Party. I was not expecting them to come because I have suffered from jet lag and know that flying across the pond can be very tiring.

B and I had given up on anyone joining us and had just ordered our fish when we got a call. Dave and the in-laws were on their way. I got to meet the Bridie's mam, auntie and sister and I had a blast talking to them. What a fun bunch of ladies. As some of you know, f-bombs are very common in Ireland. And let me tell you, they were flying everywhere. For some reason, I found it extremely amusing to hear "Mam" lay down the f-bombs. We had so much fun, the ladies invited me to the Bachelorette Party the following night.

I decided - What the hell? Why not? I won't know many people but there are usually many people that don't know each other at those kinds of events. I decided to throw my insecurities into the wind and go for it and I'm glad I did. I had a lot of fun. It was a bit strange because I felt like an outsider but I already knew Bridie and her family so I always had someone to chat with. I also got along really well with Dave's sister, Pixie.

The most memorable moment of the evening was a cab ride between bars. I was sitting in the back seat next to Pixie and a rather annoying girl (I'll call her Pita) was in the front seat. Pita had declared earlier in the evening that she just knew she was going to get into a fight that night. With her big mouth and attitude, it wouldn't have surprised me. She was also desparately hanging on to her youth and former single status (she recently got engaged). Anyway, Pita was in the front chatting with the cab driver. Chatting may be a weak description of her inquisition. She kept firing questions at him - Where are you from? Why did you become a cab driver? Almost to the point of being rude and condesending. BUT to top it off, she was sort of flirting with him! "You're cute."

Pixie and I were in the back seat trying not to burst out laughing (it was difficult). THEN the cab driver rolled down his window. Not such an odd thing except it was freezing outside. Just as I was about to request that the window be closed, I caught a whiff of an unpleasant smell. I nudge Pixie and whisper to her, "I think the cabbie just farted!" Meanwhile, Pita continues the inquisition, oblivious to the reason behind the need for fresh COLD air in the cab. We could not hold in the laughter anymore. Pixie and I start giggling histerically. Pita looks at us and asked what was so funny. Quick-thinking Pixie chalks it up to too much alcohol and a case of the giggles. Pita resumes the cabbie inquisition. I start giggling just thinking about it.

I had great fun with the Irish laddies. I've even made plans to meet up with Bridie's sister in Ireland. I'm getting very impatient for my vacation to start!

2 Comments:

  • I'm glad you took the risk and went to the party...sometimes we have to do that...take risks.

    When's your vacation?

    By Blogger Networkchic, at 8:09 AM  

  • Vacation starts at the end of April. Not much longer to wait! I'm hoping it will be a bit warmer than the trip we took.

    By Blogger Tosa, at 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home